Façade of a city residence, in Lange Voorhout.
In the 17th century Baron Van den Boetzelaer, who signed the command to lift the protection of the De Witt brothers, which led to their cruel murder, lived here.
In the early 18th century it was redesigned and rebuilt more or less to its present state by an unknown architect in a prestigious late Louis XIV style.
During the second quarter of the 18th century it was owned by the Anglo-Dutch Stephanus Laurentius Neale, who introduced coffee cultivation in the Dutch colony of Suriname and who became exceedingly rich.
Some years after he sold the palace in 1752, he owned four coffee plantations with more than 200,000 coffee trees, 200 sugar cane fields and (yes, you expected it!) more than 450 slaves.
The building is a state monument and used as a prestigious office building.
© Villa Next Door 2019
All pictures were taken in March 2017
Façades of The Hague from #72 onwards: https://villanextdoor2.wordpress.com/category/facades-of-the-hague/
Façades of The Hague #1 – 71: https://villanextdoor.wordpress.com/category/facades-of-the-hague/